RENO, Nevada – Reno City Council is the latest to join the campaign to ban wildlife slaughter contests in Nevada.
The board approved a resolution on a 6-1 vote this week urging an end to the practice. Mayor Hillary Schieve called contests that often target coyotes “heinous.”
The Clark County Commission in Las Vegas called for an immediate ban earlier this year.
The state’s wildlife commission is expected to consider the matter at its Sept. 24 meeting.
Councilor Bonnie Weber was the only vote against Reno’s resolution on Wednesday, saying it shouldn’t be the city’s role to take a stand on the issue. Its neighborhood stretching north of Reno into more rural areas includes Lemmon Valley, where a bar has sponsored some of the largest annual coyote hunts in northern Nevada.
The resolution the council approved pays tribute to the late Norm Harry, a member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute tribe who protested the competitions. Her daughter Autumn, whose family grew up hunting, explained why she continued in her father’s footsteps and spoke out against coyote contests.
“It is truly inhumane to see the treatment of these animals,” said Harry. “The way I grew up, I’ve always been taught to be respectful to all animals and if you’re going to hunt you use the entire animal and use every piece.”
Coyote show hunters use dogs, glasses, and guns to kill the most animals, sometimes for prizes. Unlike predators such as gray wolves or prey species such as elk, coyotes have no species protection and can be killed without a permit.
Some states like Utah and South Dakota offer bounties to coyotes to control their population. Coyote killing contests have been banned in at least eight states since 2014, including Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico, which in the past rotated the Coyote Call Contest of the world championship with Nevada.
KRNV-TV reported that most of the public commentary at the city council meeting supported the resolution and urged the Nevada Department of Wildlife to ban contests.
Fanua Tomlinson, representative for Project Coyote, a nonprofit that advocates ending competitions, said there was no evidence that the competitions promoted wildlife conservation goals.
“There isn’t a single State Department that recognizes wildlife slaughter competitions as a viable scientific management tool. Not even NDOW, ”she said. “It’s just not an ethical hunt… It’s indiscriminate waste. No one is using these dead carcasses.
State wildlife commissioners admitted last month that they were losing hope of finding a solution to the issue that would appease people on both sides after questioning attendees at a meeting earlier this year.
The survey asked participants to rank priorities, including ‘social perception of hunting’, ‘unnecessary waste’ and ‘tradition / heritage’, and launched ideas such as public notices, limits of hunting. taken or licenses.
“I was optimistic that we could involve different constituencies to help us really dissect this and find out where there might be common ground,” President Tiffany East said at a meeting of the commission last month. “But after today, I’m honest, I don’t know if we’re any further ahead than I had hoped.”